Friday 16 February 2018

February Half Term





It's half term here so I've got the kiddiwinkles at home and we've been keeping busy with trips out and lots of activities.  Think baking, painting, play doh, dog walking and a museum trip thrown in for culture.  We went to Strangers Hall in Norwich which is a small Tudor house in the city centre.  It's not massive and took us about an hour and a half to get round which was long enough for us.  


Sophie found it fascinating and joined in with the activities on offer - folding a paper boot, helping prepare a Valentine's feast and chatting to staff.  Olivia, joined in with bits like the food prep and playing with some olden day toys but hated all the steep stairs and wanted to hold two hands everywhere (I was thanking my lucky stars that my sister was with us because I don't know how I'd have managed otherwise!)  Melie wanted to go up and down all the stairs over and over again, preferably without holding hands which was fun.  Or not. 

When we first arrived we were asked to take our bags off so we deposited them away but not before Melie managed to find a snack pot with Oreos in it.  I decided to hold her while she ate it as I was worried she would touch something with it.  She once scraped a pre-chewed Oreo over my bed and it looked suspiciously like poo, so I didn't want a repetition of that.  After mulching it around in her mouth til it was nice and goopy she decided she'd had enough and with no bin in sight I had to take one for the team and eat it myself.  I'm not going to lie, there are some bits of motherhood that are absolutely gross and this is one of them.  Not as gross as accidentally putting my finger in poo when I check her nappy though, that's on another level.

My best thing has been not having to do the morning school run.  No shouting "put your shoes on" over and over again or getting drenched because the bright blue sky that was there when I left the house has suddenly become dark grey rain clouds and I didn't put on a coat or bring the rain cover.  We've actually enjoyed walking the dog.  Bikes and scooters have come out, the girls have looked for painted rocks and today I saw my first snowdrop.  It made me happy.


Anyway, this week I have mainly been working on my Granny Rocks jumper (pattern by Iron Lamb).  I've had to frog it a couple of times as it was coming out very large so I think my once very tight tension may have loosened off somewhat.  I love the fact that the granny stitch is so rhythmic and requires so little thought.  Perfect for when you want to keep your hands busy but your mind calm.  It's coming along nicely now and I'm hoping to get it finished next week.



Today we had a go at making chocolate cupcakes. The girls loves it, especially licking the bowl clean but my baking leaves a lot to be desired and the result is possibly the saddest looking cakes I've ever seen.  
Hopefully a bucketload of butter cream will improve them!

I hope you've had a great week wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment