Tuesday 12 December 2017

O Christmas tree... a simple decoration.



Since Sophie was born, 7 and a bit years ago, we have made a Christmas decoration each year to send round to family and friends.  One year was a handprint, another salt dough stars and hearts that were painted and varnished and last year gel appeal shapes (well, blobs if I'm honest). 

 

I'm not sure what our rellies make of these random decs they receive but I'm hoping they realise we've put some time and effort into them rather than just thinking we're tight for not buying a proper gift.  After all who needs more socks right? (Actually, Mr Hopo does, his seem to have signed some kind of sock suicide pact and every time he puts a pair on another hole appears.)

Anyway, this year we've made Hama bead trees and stars but not in the traditional way.  Whilst both bigger girls can do a hama bead board it takes quite a while and so I decided to have a go at just pouring them into a cookie cutter shape to see if they would stick together. 


I got 2 metal cookie cutters and put them on grease proof paper.  For Livvy (3) I just let her pick whatever colours she wanted and she opted for a 'just chuck it in approach' whereas Sophie (7) took her time choosing the colours and laying them out inside the cutter.


We made sure that all the beads were touching, they can be standing or laying, before cooking at 180° for about 15 mins.  The beads don't melt completely flat and just widen out their holes a bit which once cooked means you can easily thread some cotton through to hang them.


Livvy's star had more beads in including some on top of others which means it's much more 3D than Sophie's but I think it's equally pretty. 


You need a bit of brute force to get these out once cooked but I found it easier to ease them out from the side that was next to the tray pushing bit by bit around the cutter.  Just watch you fingers on the cutter edge.

I used some cotton thread to make little loops to hang these with, probably about 20cm long so that I could tie a knot and then cut off the excess.

So, if you want to make some simple and cheap (I got a bag of Hama beads from my local toy shop for just £1.80) Christmas decs with the kids this is for you! I've just got to persuade the kids to part with them now as according to Sophie they are all so special she doesn't want to send them away...

If you make any I'd love to see so don't forget to tag me on instagram @hookonepurlone


No comments:

Post a Comment