Friday 24 November 2017

101 uses for yarn ends (and other excuses I use)


I collect my yarn ends, even the scrappy ones, and keep them in a large glass jar.  It's the ultimate yarn barf, especially if the kids have been in it and Mr Hopo says I'm hoarding but I beg to differ and here's why:

1 - It's pretty.  Nuff said.
2 - I might need them. Erm, for colour matching.
3 - For stuffing toys with.  They deserve to be pretty inside and out.
4 -  Kids crafts, gluing, sticking, colour matching, general fiddling with and spreading around the house.  Yes, you'll spend the next week finding small threads everywhere BUT you did get to have a cup of tea and do a few rows of crochet so totally worth it.  Kind of.
5 - Art.  Kind of a continuation of kids activities except I think I probably enjoy this more.  Last time we did some yarn art they abandoned me to my task quite quickly but at least it started as something for them.  I did a yarn rainbow last and am thinking a portrait next.  I'd love to create something like the wonderful work of Marna Lunt.  It would probably be more akin to spaghetti thrown at a wall but I'll try anything once.
6 -   For making wall hangings.  We collected sticks and tied yarn and ribbons to them for colourful wall hangings that have pride of place in our kitchen.  (My whole house is covered in the kids art and it always make me smile)
7 - If you collect enough you could start insulating your house with them.  Although Mr Hopo says I've got enough yarn to do that anyway. 
8 - To use in embroidery.  I've never done that, but I definitely will. Definitely.
9 - You can use them as a prop in photo's.  I have lots of stuff that I have just as props for photo's, like baskets and sheets of paper.  (Mr Hopo doesn't feel those items are necessary either though)
10 - The growing pile of ends shows how much you've achieved and a reminder of all the beautiful things you've made. 
11 - Erm, ok so I don't think I'm going to get to 101.  Maybe more like 10.1. 
And my last reason is the most important one.  Because I WANT to.  And it's MY yarn. So there Mr Hopo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment